Wednesday, December 14, 2011

2011 - In a Nut Shell


We started 2011 off with a bang, and took a kid-less mini vacation to Las Vegas! It was our first trip away from the kidlets, and we had a complete blast. We mostly did site-seeing on the strip, but were able to watch The Phantom of the Opera. I loved it. Scott did too (ok, ok, not as much as I did... hehe!).

Early in the year, we decided to make the career change that Scott has been longing to do for years. In the Spring, we took the plunge! Scott attended realtor school and soon after got his real estate license. This meant a big, permanent move for our family, to Utah. Why Utah? Because Scott works on his brother's real estate team. He LOVES his profession, it is his niche. I am so glad he is happy! We packed up and moved at the end of April, and transitioned from a house to an apartment. This has been a challenge, but we are happy here and love our new ward. Scott is the 1st counselor in the Elder's quorum. Between his calling and long work hours, he is very busy. We are grateful for his hard work, and I keep my sanity most days! :)

I seem to stay plenty busy being a mom, along with doing my Cents of Style business on the side. Due to the move, I am still working on re-building my business and clientele here in Utah. But it is the perfect little side job for me, and I have a lot of fun.

We are enjoying living so close to Scott's brother and family now! The girls love to play at their house with their cousins. Ellie is slightly obsessed with her cousin Collin, and follows him around saying "Colly, Colly, Colly!" Poor Collin. Haha!

We went on a family vacation to California for a Jones reunion to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday. Of course we couldn't pass up spending a few days at Disneyland! We didn't waste any beloved Disney time either, usually spending 16 hours a day at the park. SO WORTH IT! We love Disneyland. Our girls did amazing, and totally absorbed the whole experience. We are so grateful to have spent that time with extended family, and made lots of really wonderful memories!

We spent our 4th of July in Eastern ID with Scott's family. The fireworks in Idaho Falls are AMAZING! And if you know the Hurds at all, you will know that time with them is always guaranteed fun!

Ellie started nursery in September (insert the voices of angels singing here). I was beginning to wonder why we even went to church when our kids were so naughty. But she has done so awesome! I'm sure having Tenley in there made for a smooth transition. And I just love having two hours kid-free to listen to the lessons.

Tenley is potty trained! (More angels singing...) She wasn't ready until she was three, and then BAM. DONE. That's how she rolls. :)

In October, I went to my 10 year HS reunion by myself. Can you believe it?? It was the weirdest feeling to be alone, without kids OR hubby. But I had so much fun with my oldie-but-goody friends. Scott is a fantastic dad, and did awesome with the girls by himself! Although, I'm pretty sure he was glad to have me home and resume my mommy role after a few days.

Tenley starts preschool very soon. We are anxious for her to start, as it will be so good for her to have social time out of the house and to have a speech therapist to work with again. She is still delayed in speech and language, but I cannot believe the wonderful progress she has made.

We enjoyed a low key Halloween at our ward trunk or treat, and then also went trick or treating with the cousins a couples days later! Tenley was a "baby owl" and Ellie was a lady bug one night, and a chicken another. I couldn't resist using Tenley's old chicken costume because it is too cute!

We drove back "home" to Boise for a Hurd Thanksgiving, and made a pit stop in Twin Falls to see the Kelseys. Always a blast at their house! We feel so blessed to still live driving distance from some of our family. We have really missed living so close to them all.

We are planning to make the (long, long) drive down to AZ for a Jones Christmas! We cannot wait to see so much of our family, and to enjoy the lovely sunshine! It has been a very busy year, full of many changes. Through it all, we have really been able to recognize our blessings that we too often overlook. We are so grateful for our beautiful children and for the gospel of Jesus Christ, especially at this time of year as we celebrate His birth. May you all feel of His love this holiday season.

Early Spring, 2011
Merry Christmas!
Love,
The Hurds

3 comments:

jake&whitney said...

what a year! and I totally understnd the long days at disney land! it sounded like our days at disney world this past year. Between that and the time difference (which you know as a spoiled az girl im not use to :) and having morning sickness i thought I was going to die but we had so much fun and like your girls our boys loved every second of it. Worth every penny for your family and ours and boy will we treasure the memories forever

-tracy said...

I'm so glad you updated your blog, although I stalk you enough via text and FB that I knew most of it :)
Can't wait until we live close enough to see each other more.
In the meantime, tickets from SLC-PDX go on sale often...hint.
xo.

Anonymous said...

While you are making the long drive down to Az, we will be making the long drive up to Utah! Always that much more fun with kiddos! Stay safe! :D